Sunday, February 7, 2016

snowflake cutout apple pie for christmas



In addition to the cookie christmas tree and reindeer cookies that I made this past Christmas, I also made this apple pie for dessert! It's been a recent tradition of mine to make apple pie for Christmas, including this Christmas wreath apple pie, or this Christmas Tree apple pie (there's even a Hello Kitty apple pie in my book, The Hello Kitty Baking Book!), so this year I decided to do snowflake cutouts for my pie!


I started with a batch of my favorite pie crust (recipe in my book!), divided it in half, and rolled out my bottom crust to fit into the bottom of my 9-inch pie dish. Then I poured in my apple filling (apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, cloves, salt, and a pinch of salt), and then used a snowflake cookie cutter to make a snowflake decorated top crust!


After a quick egg wash and a sprinkling with sanding sugar, I popped it into a 415F oven for 15 minutes, and then lowered it to 350F for 45-50 minutes, until the crust had become golden brown.


I'm already thinking of more shapes to make for future Christmases to come! 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Really nice! And you can vary so many different shapes for the topping of the pie. It might be a nice to do a heart-shaped pie for upcoming Valentine's Day!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks @Paris Pastry ! :) yes i was already thinking to do a heart cutout pie for valentine's day! we think alike!

      Delete